Biatain® Ibu Soft-Hold is a soft and flexible absorbent foam dressing. Biatain® Ibu Soft-Hold dressing combines moist wound healing with local release of Ibuprofen.
Unique 3D foam structure for superior absorption
When in contact with exudate, the unique 3D foam structure of Biatain® conforms closely to the wound bed® even under compression (3,6).
Soft and flexible dressing
Biatain® Ibu Soft-Hold is a soft and flexible dressing that delivers high patient comfort (1,2).
Combines moist wound healing with local release of Ibuprofen
In the presence of exudate, there is a continuous release of a low dose of Ibuprofen into the wound bed throughout the wear time of the dressing (up to 7 days) (1,7).
Wound healing does not have to be painful
Comparative studies have shown a reduction in wound pain in patients wearing Biatain® Ibu compared with dressings without Ibuprofen (4,5).
Mode of action
Ibuprofen is released when the foam comes into contact with wound exudate (1,7).
Biatain® Ibu Soft-Hold is an absorbent polyurethane foam that contains 0.5 mg/cm2 of Ibuprofen homogeneously dispersed throughout the foam matrix (2).
Biatain® Ibu Soft-Hold is indicated for a wide range of low to highly exuding wounds. This includes acute wounds such as second-degree burns, postoperative wounds and skin abrasions; and chronic wounds such as leg ulcers, pressure ulcers and non-infected diabetic foot ulcers. Biatain® Ibu Soft-Hold is suitable for use in combination with compression therapy. Biatain® Ibu Soft-Hold should not be used on donor sites.
1. Vogensen H. Evaluation of Biatain® Soft-hold foam dressing. British Journal of Nursing 2006;15(21):1162-65.
2. Jorgensen B et al. Pain and quality of life for patients with venous leg ulcers: Proof of concept of the efficacy of Biatain® - Ibu, a new pain reducing wound dressing. Wound repair and regeneration 2006;14(3): 233-39.
3. Thomas et al. www.dressings.org/TechnicalPublications/PDF/Coloplast-Dressings-Testing-2003-2004.pdf
4. Gottrup F et al. Reducing wound pain in venous leg ulcers with Biatain® Ibu: A randomized, controlled double-blind clinical investigation on the performance and safety. Wound Repair and Regeneration 2008;6:615-25.
5. Palao i Domenech R et al. Effects of a foam dressing with ibuprofen on wound pain: results from an international, comparative real life study on painful, exuding wounds. Journal of Wound Care 2008;17(8):342-48.
6. Reitzel N et al. An in-vitro test of absorption capacity of foam dressings under pressure. EWMA 2008
7. Steffansen B and Herping S. Novel wound models for characterizing the effects of exudate levels on the controlled release of ibuprofen from foam dressings. EWMA 2006.